Student researchers represent WSU at Capitol

Buzzing with lawmakers, interns, lobbyists, pages and government employees, the state capitol building in Topeka became the stage for a few Wichita State undergraduate researchers to display their findings Wednesday morning.

Students from WSU, Pittsburg State, Kansas State, Fort Hays State, Washburn, the University of Kansas Medical Center and the University of Kansas presented research and networked with legislators who were on their way to meetings.

By putting together posters, products and materials highlighting the findings, methods and plans that detail their research, students spoke about their experiences and lessons while completing specialized research.

“It is a great chance to practice presentation skills,” said Stephanie Rogers, Honors College adviser and undergraduate research grants program assistant. “It gives [the students] a chance to show that higher education is worthwhile to continue funding.”

For 12 years, graduate-level researchers at WSU have had the opportunity to preview the results of their research to lawmakers and others in their field, originally suggested by a graduate-level researcher wanting an opportunity to present the result of his work.

However, it was not until three years ago that undergraduate researchers had the same opportunity.

“We asked, ‘We’ve got this great thing for graduate students,’” said John Augusto, director of the Center for Undergraduate Research at KU. “‘But where are the undergrads?’”

For the past three years, “leadership” of the event has been claimed by one school per year. Included in this responsibility is the setup, refreshments, event organization and the photographer, Rogers said. This year, Wichita State’s Honors College took ownership of the event, providing logistics as well as research presentations from five undergraduate Shockers.

The presentations were not limited to scientific fields, either — WSU students presented findings and materials on the study of step-family stressors, pedestrian detection while texting at night, modulaton-assisted machining, reduction of medication administration errors in emergency medical services through verbal verifications, and Mezzotint printmaking, a classification of print artwork where designs and text are carefully etched into a slate of copper using precision tools.

“You use a tool to create a texture on the surface of the plate,” said Spencer Sinclair, a junior printmaking student.

Presentations came from researchers in departments of sociology, psychology, printmaking and mechanical engineering.

“We are proud of the diversity and the projects we have,” Rogers said.

At the end of the event, students who presented the findings from their research were presented with an award detailing their achievements.

Although this has only been the third year of the program, plans are in place to continue it for future students — many of the students who presented were able to commence their studies with the help of grant money.

“We can build awareness,” said Augusto. “Get more state senators, representatives and lobbyists to come by.”

In recent times, talks of budget cuts by Gov. Sam Brownback have placed educators across the state in a lurch.

On Feb. 5, Brownback announced a list of cuts to Kansas schools totaling $45 million, which includes universities governed under the Kansas Board of Regents.

From this total, WSU is scheduled to receive a cut of $1.5 million.

Even with this prospect, Kimberly Engber, dean of the Honors College at WSU, doesn’t think the cuts are going to affect the students and their drive to succeed.

“They will make the most of it,” Engber said. “Undergraduate students are pretty hardy.”