Shockers skip the meat

For Wichita State graphic design student Chris Garcia, the daily decision of what he is going to eat is relatively simple — as long as his meal does not contain any meat, it is a viable option.

A non-traditional student — a veteran and a father of two —Garcia has had life experiences that have changed how he views the world around him.

Some of those experiences have also changed how he sees what is cooking on his stove or on the dinner plate in front of him.

“It all started when I was stationed in Virginia. My girlfriend at the time — now wife ­— was a vegetarian, as she was one from childhood,” Garcia said.

Originally born and raised in Kansas, Garcia eventually moved away from the plains to take a job in the U.S. Navy, where he spent six years of his life experiencing culture, ideas and social movements.

Transitioning from the Navy, Garcia found himself working for People for Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA) as a graphic design specialist.

“I did graphic design, and I was a project coordinator,” he said. “I was a hub for much of the online content. I had to see all of the videos, the pictures.  

“I saw the gruesome nature of the [meat and dairy] business. It turns your stomach.”

Garcia is one of a growing group of Americans that have eliminated meat from their meals for plant-based options.

Here on campus, students have options that refrain from the use of meat-based products, said David Casida, WSU’s Dining Services general manager.

“Over the last 12 years, we’ve not had a large number of individuals ask [for vegan and vegetarian options],” Casida said. “We try to have a lot of fresh ingredients and an assortment of fruits, vegetables, breads and good protein sources in addition to animal proteins.”

Dining Services does not have specific vegan and vegetarian options, but Casida said it will accommodate any requests. If requests are made far in advance, Dining Services will try everything they can to provide options for anyone’s dietary preference.  

Even as a college student, Garcia said he has not had much difficulty maintaining a vegetarian diet at WSU. He also said that veganism in Kansas is much more difficult than other locations, as he was vegan for one year before transitioning to sparingly consuming dairy.

However, for Garcia, even though it is more challenging in Kansas to have a plant-based diet, he does not regret his decision to pass on the meat.

“I believe it is everyone’s choice, and I wouldn’t push my beliefs on someone else,” Garcia said. “[But] we are in a consumer society, so why not make the conscientious decision as to what is better for the animals, the environment and my body?”