New Student Conduct Director has human touches

Although Mandy Hambleton may be relatively new to Wichita State and has a title that could be scary to some, she aims to treat students with care and respect.

“I have always had someone that has encouraged me to go beyond what I thought I could do and to challenge myself,” Hambleton said. “Our goal is to keep students here and to help them make behavior changes.”

Hambleton, former assistant director of Student Conduct and Conflict Resolution at the University of Florida and a Student Conduct Office coordinator at the University of Nevada-Las Vegas, moved to Wichita and became the director of the Office of Student Conduct and Community Standards in the fall.

In a nutshell, she discusses conflict resolution with WSU students if they find themselves breaking university policy.

Growing up, Hambleton moved around a lot. In fact, she changed homes 13 times before she graduated high school. As a result, one of the constants in her life was her mother, who Hambleton said also acted as a mentor and support system.

“I moved a lot growing up,” she said. “My mom and I are really close. That is the one thing that has stayed constant throughout it all.”

Hambleton practices the same belief when it comes to the students she works with.

“One of the first students that I met [while doing] my internship said, ‘You know, you are really easy to talk to,’” Hambleton said. “‘Could I come back and talk to you later?’”

The Office of Student Conduct and Community Standards handles conduct infractions that are committed within the WSU community. On-campus drinking, drug use, harassment — all examples of what Hambleton’s office handles.

However, she said she does not see this as a bad thing. Although the office is required from time to time to execute big decisions — such as suspension and expulsion — she uses it as an opportunity to be a teacher. Originally starting her studies with the intent to teach high school English, Hambleton said she tries to implement her teaching skills into daily events.

“When I see the light bulb go on in a conversation or I get a reflection paper that shows a student is trying to make a change, I will laugh with [some students] and cry with some of them,” she said.

Even though these tasks can become exhausting, Hambleton said she remembers why she is in the position at the end of the day.

“Education has always been important to me,” she said. “The students keep me coming back every day.”