Café Spice: Indian restaurant features fresh ingredients, authentic menu items

Same location, different name.

The former Masala Asian Grill in the Rhatigan Student Center has been replaced this semester. Café Spice was a hotspot during the lunch hour Tuesday, with a steady line of customers back from winter break.

“I think people are going to find that it’s authentic,” said David Casida, general manager of Wichita State University Dining Services.

The international brand features Indian cuisine — much like Masala did — but with fresher vegetables, herbs and spices, Casida said. The meats served at Café Spice are halal, which means the food is cooked in accordance with Islamic beliefs.

Café Spice also has a location on the University of Kansas campus.

Prices are similar to Masala’s menu, with entrees in the $5 to $8 range. Sides include potato samosa, naan and chutney.

Graduate student Sarah Snow waited in line Tuesday to purchase a half-order of tikka masala, a roasted chicken dish in a spicy, creamy sauce.

“I’ve been everywhere else, but I’ve never tried this,” she said. Snow said she never got the chance to try Masala, but she enjoys Indian food. “I love [that the university brings in international flavor]. It lets you experience everything.”

Masala’s popularity continued to decline over the years, Casida said, which led to the decision to update the space in the Rhatigan. Campus surveys showed the desire for Indian cuisine.

“We researched who was out there that we could contract with, who had good brand integrity, a lot of authentic flavors,” Casida said.

Taste testings with Café Spice items were successful, Casida said. The space in the RSC didn’t need renovating, he said, but new signage and branding were put up during winter break.

“At this point, we’re hoping it’s well-received by the university,” Casida said, “and we know preferences and tastes change. Nothing is forever.”

“Really it’s just a chance to continue meeting the need for both the international flavor and keeping something fresh and new.”