News in brief, Jan. 21

Bond sales completed for first Innovation Campus building

The bond sales to fund construction of the first building for Wichita State’s Innovation Campus were completed over the winter break.

The Sedgwick County Public Building Commission issued revenue bonds totaling $44.945 million on behalf of the WSU Board of Trustees. The maturing periods range from 2018 to 2054.

The bond money will go toward construction of the Experiential Engineering Building. It will also cover costs of an attached Maker Space, road and parking lot construction and other related utilities.

The building will be built along 17th Street, where Wheatshocker Apartments once stood.

Construction of the Experiential Engineering Building is expected to begin later this year.

Tanganyika Wildlife bringing painting penguin to WSU

Tanganyika Wildlife is presenting a penguin to the Wichita State campus Thursday.

The event is scheduled for 11:30 a.m. in RSC 142. It is open to the WSU community and is sponsored by Student Activities Council.

In addition to the penguin presentation, Tanganyika will showcase their plans to help conserve endangered species.

For more information, call 978-3022 or email [email protected].

Gaze at Jupiter this weekend

As part of spring Welcomefest, the Fairmount Center for Science and Mathematics is sponsoring a night at Lake Afton Public Observatory to examine Jupiter, its Galilean moons and the Earth’s moon.

The event takes place from 7:30 to 10 p.m. Friday and Saturday at the observatory, located at 247th Street West, near MacArthur Road and 39th Street South.

Wichita State students and faculty can receive free admission with a Shocker ID. The public is also welcome to attend. Admission is $6 for adults, $4 for children ages six through 12, and children under six are admitted for free.

A special family rate is available for $18 for two parents and their immediate children or grandchildren.

—TJ Rigg