Office of Student Success here to help

Shelby Metcalf and Sarah Sell wanted to reach more students on the Wichita State campus. Wednesday, they did just that – by giving out free candy and school supplies to students.

“We’re trying to get the word out on our office and different services we provide for students. We have some giveaways; just things to help get them ready to go for the semester and on the right track,” Sell said.

Metcalf and Sells, representatives of WSU’s Office of Student Success, posted a stand in Hubbard Hall Wednesday morning. Metcalf, the administrative service manager, along with Sell, a student success specialist, walked the hallways handing out pens, air fresheners, flashlights and magnetic informational bookmarks. There was also a bowl of candy sitting on their table filled with Snickers, Twix, Starbursts and Reese’s.  

The purpose of the giveaways was to draw students in so Metcalf and Sell could speak with them about student support services available on campus.

“What we’ve noticed is that students often have hard times locating the resources that are available on campus,” Sell said while passing out WSU key chains. “There are an abundance of helpful resources, so we want to let them know that we’re kind of a one-stop place for academics and work.”

Sell said she believes the Office of Student Success can help direct students on campus to the best available help in order to ensure rising graduation rates.

The office is located in room 115 of Neff Hall. There is an open door policy to all WSU students between 8 a.m. and 5 p.m. Students also have the option of signing up for an appointment online through the WSU website.

Services include tutoring and supplemental instruction, which is designed to help students in historically difficult classes such as chemistry or biology.

Additionally, the Office of Student Money Management is in the same office. The group is offering free tax filing along with financial success plans and individual help with study skills and setting goals.

As the event was coming to its conclusion, Metcalf gave away her last bookmark and left with one final message:

“We’re here to do anything we can do as a resource,” she said.