Time restraints dominate student athletes’ lives

After a long day of volleyball training, Division I athletics, an internship, school and everything else, Jordan Hinkle is tired.

Like Hinkle, many students have experienced just how hectic life of a college athlete can be and how necessary time management becomes in their everyday lives.

“In season we averaged around 20 hours a week and were allowed one day off every 13 days,” Hinkle said.

While 20 hours may be the norm at Wichita State for the maximum amount of time an athlete dedicates to his or her sport, these times can vary.

According to “Do College Athletes Have Time to Be Students?” from CBS News, men’s Division I baseball accumulated 42.1 hours a week, men’s basketball dropped a little lower at 39.2 and women’s basketball fell in at 37.6.

Considering these hours, that is nearly a full time job, not to mention the fact that playing a sport is considered “extracurricular.”

However, the hours found by CBS News are most likely not considering the amount of travel time that athletes endure just to get to their road games.

“In season there’s always more time dedicated because we’re on the road so often,” said Hinkle. “At that time I would try to get all my homework and studying done on the bus because once you’re at your hotel, you’re in game mode so it’s hard to focus.”

Hinkle said the first six weeks of her spring semester were easier when it came to volleyball, despite the conditioning early in the morning and three individual, 40-minute practices required throughout the week.

Although Hinkle said did have a busy schedule, she also enjoyed the freedom to have weight lifting sessions on her own rather than a specific time with the whole team that could lead to scheduling conflicts.

In “Playing college sports: A long, tough job” by Chris Isidore from CNNMoney, Wichita State’s student athlete hours, or at least the ones reported, compare nothing to Northwestern University’s football program which logs 50 to 60 hours a week preseason.

Unsurprisingly, the amount of time college athletes are required to spend in their sport, whether they have scholarship or not, can make it difficult to find study time.

While Wichita State students have required study hall hours if they fall behind a 3.0 GPA, sometimes study hall can be seen as just another activity on their list of never-ending things to do or accomplish.

“If I didn’t write a schedule down daily or weekly, I would fall behind pretty quickly,” Hinkle said. “I’m the type of person that if I don’t write it down, I’m not going to do it.”

Zach Bush, a redshirt sophomore for the basketball team, weighed on his time management and commitments that he has dealt with since joining the team in 2012.

“It can be pretty hard to study sometimes,” Bush said, “and it takes quite a bit of self discipline when you’re tired, hungry and thirsty after a long day of classes and then an even longer day of practice.”

While Bush said there is not a whole lot of time for extra activities during the season, being in athletics teaches one to become timely.

Though Hinkle said she was particularly busy through her college career, she said she had the best of both worlds by being able to play volleyball, enjoy her field of study and gain abilities of time management she thoroughly believed she did not start with.