News in Brief, Sept. 8

University departments to reach out to students Wednesday

Representatives from groups on campus including Ablah Library, Student Government Association and the Office of Financial Aid, will visit with students at the west campus Wednesday.

Booths will be set up between 5 and 7 p.m. Students can enter into drawings for door prizes.

For more information, contact Kim Maxton at [email protected] or 978-8310, or contact Augustine Iacopelli at [email protected] or 978-8312.

Philosophy professor speaking Thursday

Noell Birondo, assistant professor of philosophy, is the featured speaker at Wichita State’s Department of Philosophy Colloquium Thursday.

Birondo’s presentation is titled, “Aristotelian Eudaimonism and Patriotism.” Birondo will speak in room 324 of McKinley Hall from 3:30 to 5 p.m.

Special training required when hosting an event with alcohol

Any organization wanting to host an event with alcohol during the academic year is required to have Social Host Training.

Student Involement, Student Conduct and Wichita State’s prevention specialist will facilitate the sessions. Organizations will learn about risk management, event planning regulation and the effects of substance abuse.

A Social Host Training session is scheduled for 1-2 p.m. Tuesday in the RSC, room 256.

For more information, contact Lyston Skerritt at [email protected] or call 978-3022.

— TJ Rigg