Campus activities at WSU: It’s never too late

My life changed the day I watched someone play Mario Kart 8 in the Rhatigan Student Center.

I had failed to pay attention to what went on around me whenever I dashed to class.

An uninformed freshman, I didn’t know (or refused to believe) the quantity of occurrences that took place at my university.

My Peruvian-German high school had succeeded in imposing one lesson upon me — fun awaited at home only.

I’ve met several students who limited their college experience to focusing on their studies.

While I find nothing wrong with that particular philosophy, it’s not one I share anymore.

At the beginning of my first semester at Wichita State, I decided to concentrate solely on homework and long-term projects.

Even though I overheard people at my residence hall mention varied student organizations countless times, I preferred to stick to my original plan.

It seemed safe, yet it proved overcautious before long.

Throughout freshman year, I took extensive walks around campus between classes.

These strolls helped me become acquainted with the numerous activities that college has to offer — I spotted everything ranging from posters that promoted Greek life to flyers that invited me to a magician’s act.

Nevertheless, my utter stubbornness prevented me from attending any of these events, let alone joining a student group.

Still, as months passed, my cynicism toward college-related pursuits diminished at a steady pace when my art of theater professor required me to watch three shows.

As I witnessed the talent our WSU theater program cultivates, a sudden realization invaded my core and altered my perspective on college life.

I noticed I didn’t only want to attend events on campus — I needed to be a part of them.

I subsequently entered into a frenzy.

There wasn’t a single concert on campus that year that didn’t have me as an attendee or a musical I did not see.

I even found international student organizations that threw events for those of us who were new in town, and I missed not a single one of them.

I would advise incoming freshmen to become active on campus as well.

Perhaps my way to accomplish it won’t be suitable for everyone, as I had little interest in going Greek, yet some might, whereas others prefer to join SAC and help plan the pleasurable events I often find myself in.

College life provides us with the tools for a gratifying experience. Let’s always make the best of it.