Psychology department offers student discounts

You’re lying in bed. You’ve been awake for an hour, but it’s now five minutes until class starts. You decide not to go. You’re already late; walking in class late is embarrassing, and you haven’t even showered.

However, what you might not know is that if this feeling happens to last for more than a few weeks, you could be experiencing depression, and the psychology clinic at Wichita State can help.

During an interview with U.S. News, Linda Wolszon, the director of counseling, testing and mental health at Texas Christian University, made a note of how many students are afraid to get help.

“Students are often reluctant to come here to the counseling center with problems,” Wolszon said. “Some perceive a stigma in that. But students will go to the Health Center when they are sick.”

In a survey conducted by the National Institute of Mental Health, it was found that 30 percent of college students at two and four year institutions reported feeling “so depressed that it was difficult to function” at some time in the past year.

While there are a variety of treatment options when someone is questioning their mental health, the WSU Psychology Clinic might be a good place to start.

The clinic has a presence online and identifies itself as a community training facility for students in the Clinical Psychology doctoral training program.

However, Kansas licensed psychologists monitor all students.

Session fees are typically based on a sliding scale, while the first session (intake fee) is $10, and most clients usually pay between $5 to $10 per session.

Deb Weiss, a writer for The Billfold, recently had a tough time finding a psychologist that she could pay for within her means. However, after working with her insurance company, the cost was reduced.

“Maybe there’s psychological heft to paying upwards of $200 per session, but I don’t feel like I’m getting ‘only’ $10 worth of care when I see my therapist,” Weiss said.

Wichita State’s Psychology Clinic director, Helen Reiner, has assisted the clinic with therapeutic inventions for emotional and behavioral problems, and of course, the clinic isn’t limited to one type of mental health concern — such as depression.

In fact, the Psychology Department offers another valuable program if you are not the one in need.

The Family Check Up Program is another resource that students can use to “explore any questions, goals or concerns you have about your child, teen or family.”

Graduate student Jessica Greaves has worked with the program before, especially in her current work of counseling with at-risk youth.

“I’ve heard nothing but good things from the Family Check Up Program,” Greaves said. “They help families with limited resources and those that have difficult child behaviors.”

The Family Check Up Program is a free service provide by faculty and graduate students that can be in-house or in the clinic.

“Having a program like this is exceptionally beneficial for families that don’t have the means for this kind of help,” Greaves said.

Day and evening appointments are available in the Psychology Clinic for individual sessions, while assessments for the Family Check Up Program need to be referred.

To contact the clinic, call 978-3212. Reach the Family Check Up Program at 978-6180.