Wichita bars are favorites for college students

When you’re in college, especially over the summer season, you’ll want to find a good bar to frequent (assuming you’re of legal drinking age, of course). Wichita State students have found homes in a couple of bars such as O’Briens, Harry’s Bar and Grill, and Fox and Hound. All of which offer good drinks and food.

O’Briens, located on Kellogg and Oliver, has been a favorite for the entire east side of Wichita, with their Saturday night drinks specials and their awesome thin crust pizza. O’Briens offers specials every night of the week so you won’t be disappointed on any given day. Lots of TV’s and a wide variety of patrons makes O’Briens a definite favorite of Shocker students.

Harry’s Bar and Grill is an oldie, but a goodie. Described to me as the “Cheer’s” of Wichita on more than one occasion, Harry’s crowd gets more diverse by the day. I was told to try a burger and make sure I get waffles fries, I did and was extremely impressed. Service was quick and attentive and my drink was definitely worth the money, the bartender made sure of that. It’s got a dive bar type of feel to it, but you feel at home right away and I would consider Harry’s a diamond in the rough. While there I ran into plenty of WSU alumni and current students, all there for the stiff beverages. Harry’s is located at Douglas and Hillside.

Fox and Hound is a bar I frequent for more reasons than one. Fox has a wide selection of beers on tap, some of which rotate in and out depending on season. I would recommend trying F&H on a Tuesday, as they have all draft pints costing just two bucks (for a night out at Waterfront, you can’t beat $2 drinks). The music is a tad on the loud side, but Fox makes up for it with plenty of TV’s and a nice lounge room with a pool table and dart board. The food at Fox has yet to disappoint me, and I go there often for a big ol’ burger. I would also recommend downloading their phone app because there is a game on it that you can play for $5 off your meal. Fox is a chain, which for some reason deters patrons from becoming a loyal customer, but it has a local feel to it so make sure you give it a shot.

Wichita has plenty of hotspots and every person you meet will have a different favorite, but if you try out these three bars, I can all but guarantee you will not be disappointed. Get out there and give the Wichita nightlife a chance to impress you.