‘Imaginary Parking’

Parking has frustrated Wichita state students for decades and administration might finally be amending current parking policies.

For the past few months, President John Bardo has talked about multiple ways to finally address the parking problem.

The latest, was zoning, in which students can pay to park in certain spots. Final information has not been released yet for fall parking policies. But final policies are expected to be announced in July.

The Kansas Board of Regents met yesterday to discuss new changes to tuition and student fees for all four Kansas colleges.

“Ultimately it’s the president’s decision on parking,” said Breeze Richardson, associate director of communications for the Kansas Board of Regents. “He does not have to bring before the board any parking fees he wants to enact.”

Richardson confirmed she has heard talk of WSU’s plans to make current parking lots zoned. And making it optional for students to buy in the fall.

Junior Rebekka Hepford said she is outraged at the thought of paying for a physical structure that isn’t there already. Even if it is optional, Hepford thinks any type of fee will make the problem worse without a physical structure being planned.

“I’m not paying for imaginary parking,” Hepford said. “That is extremely frustrating. They wanted to build the dorms instead of a parking garage so they cannot expect me to be happy about paying more.”

Hepford said WSU is not like other schools and should be treated as such.

WSU President John Bardo proposed fee changes in May just as school was wrapping up the semester and submitted them to the Kansas Board of Regents. Yesterday was the first meeting to discuss the fee changes the administration wants to make.

In March, Bardo talked about freshman being in the heart of campus and not needing direct access to their cars.

Future WSU freshman Madison White disagrees.

“I feel a little cheated,” White said. “The dorms will be great but to think that just because I live in the dorms I will not need access to my car is annoying.”

White said she’s heard how bad parking is from her older brother and agrees with Hepford there should be a physical addition to campus or a proposed one before a fee.

Sophomore Bronwen Jenkins doesn’t live on campus and is sick of getting to campus several hours early.

“I’d prefer to go a school where I could park on campus,” Jenkins said. “I usually get to campus at 7:30 a.m. everyday because you never know what is going to happen in the parking lot.”