News in Brief

Faculty Senate pushes for social media policy suspension

The Faculty Senate endorsed a resolution Monday afternoon urging the Kansas Board of Regents (KBOR) to suspend the “Improper Use of Social Media” amendment. The endorsement was passed unanimously and without discussion.

The resolution cites several complaints about the policy, including that it “infringes upon the right to freedom of expression guaranteed by the First Amendment” and “continues to pose a significant threat to the public higher education system in Kansas.” It asks that the policy be suspended until a workgroup composed of public Kansas university representatives can review the process.

Faculty Senate President Victoria Mosack is representing Wichita State in the policy’s review process, along with Associate Vice President for Academic Affairs Richard Muma. Mosack said she requested twice that the policy be suspended until the workgroup could create a recommendation, but her requests were denied.

Honors College dean appointed

Kimberly Engber was named dean of the Honors College last week. The Honors College was approved by the Kansas Board of Regents this fall and will have its first class in August as it moves to Shocker Hall. Engber has been dean of the Emory Lindquist Honors Program since 2012.

Barton School appoints new associate dean

Khawaja Saeed has been appointed the new associate dean of graduate studies in business. Saeed is an associate professor of information systems, and holds an MBA from the Asian Institute of Technology in Thailand and a doctorate in Information Systems from University of South Carolina.

2014 Undergraduate Research and Creative Activity Forum

Submissions are being accepted for undergraduate students to present their research and creative works at the Undergraduate Research and Creative Activity Forum on Tuesday, April 8 at the Hughes Metropolitan Complex. Poster sessions, oral presentations and creative exhibitions are now being accepted. Cash prizes will be awarded to the first and second-place presentations in each category. Contact Doug Parham at 978-5634 or [email protected] for more information.