Higher education extends into the bedroom

By the end of college it might seem that you know less about everything than when you started. Sex, however, is something that seems abundantly clear among college students, and some might even consider themselves experts.

Though the conversation of sexual prowess seems to trump the conversation of sexual education, sexologists Joni Frater and Esther Lastique could argue that most people — college students included — are greatly misinformed. 

“Our goal is erotic enlightenment,” Frater said. “To raise the bar on the level of conversation so that it becomes more normal. The more we talk about our body the more we can have these conversations and people don’t freak out.”

Frater and Lastique are the hosts of the “Sex Ed Boot Camp: Taking Care of Your Privates” and perform at college campuses across America. They were at the Hughes Metropolitan Complex Monday night.

The two-hour-long boot camp covered topics ranging from sexuality, relationships, body image and anatomy, to the logistics about how to have sex safely and correctly, and encouraged healthier choices.  

“It’s truly the application of knowledge that is the powerful part,” Frater said.

Referring to personal research and experiences, the duo addressed common and not so common psychological and physical issues and pressures.   

Dispelling myths and misinterpretation of sexual behavior was a focus of the performance in a town hall, Q&A format where the audience could ask questions anonymously or in-person through the show.

“We’ve been interviewed by Playboy and Maxim several times, so you can’t shock us,” Frater said. “What we really want to do is to get out a lot of information.”

The boot camp depended on crowd participation, the humor of the audience and the performers to make the conversation more comfortable and conducive to asking possibly embarrassing questions.

“It’s really entertaining,” said Brittany Coffee, a returning audience member. “Everyone should go to it next time they have one.”

To follow up the boot camp, Student Health Services, in partnership with the Sedgwick County Health Department, has scheduled two free STD testing clinics and will be available at Student Health Services from 2 to 4 p.m. today and 4 to 6 p.m. Thursday for all enrolled WSU students.

“I didn’t realize how easy STDs and everything can be spread, so that’s what I’m taking away from it,” sophomore Taylor Julius said.

In contrast to most high school sexual education courses, the boot camp encouraged sexual behavior within the realm or responsibility. 

“You want to have great sex until you die a very, very long time from now,” Lastique said.