SGA debates student fees

Correction: A previous version of this article stated the vote for the $14,000 increase in Student Involvement’s budget was tied at 12-12 and Vice President Bri Kitchings voted for the increase. The vote was tied at 11-11, and Kitchings voted to pass the motion to the Budget and Finance Committee for a recommendation.

SGA voted to approve the student fees budget Wednesday.

Student fees fund organizations and buildings on campus. The student fees budget determines money given to organizations and buildings on campus.

The 2014-2015 budget accounts for $9.5 million.

Most of the items on the budget received little debate. But the vote for Student Involvement funding was debated for hours.

Student Involvement is an organization in the Rhatigan Student Center (RSC) that provides events for students. This year, they’ll be changing to a state organization. Before, Student Involvement was part of the RSC and received funding through the building.

For 2014-2015 Student Involvement requested $925,804. This is an $185,000 increase from last year’s request.

The Student Fees committee — a group within SGA that hears student fees requests and makes adjustments to the budget before voting — recommended $840,000.

SGA senator Shannon Glover argued for an increase.

“Most of the extra money they [Student Involvement] requested is going to the challenges of going under the state,” Glover said. “With more funding they could do more events for student.”

Student Involvement will have higher office costs and higher salaries by changing into a separate state organization.

“We have made a budget to the recommended amount,” director of Student Involvement Nancy Loosle said. “We will be finding ways to do less expensive events.”

SGA Director of Public Relations Marines Figueroa then motioned a $40,000 increase in funding.

“Student Involvement affects every student on campus,” Figueroa said.

SGA Treasurer Matt Conklin then reminded the senate that any increase would increase tuition costs for students.

“It would increase each students’ credit hour cost,” Conklin said.

The motion was met with questions and arguments.

Senator Jihad Al-Khatib opposed.

“This doesn’t fit. We pulled it out of the air,” Al-Khatib said. “They [Student Fees Committee] have already discussed the budget and reached a decision.”

Senator Muhammet Ceylan also argued against the motion.

“So many groups are doing a good job,” Ceylan said. “We should be fair to all groups. We should be thankful for a $100,000 increase.”

The motion for an increase of $40,000 went to a vote. It failed 10-12.

That was not the last of the debate. Later in the meeting, Figueroa motioned to debate the funding increase again.

“I think people were hazy after the [first] debate about the number,” Figueroa said. “A lot of people had to reconsider the number.”

Since Student Involvement is no longer part of the RSC, they will now pay for graphics and posters made in the RSC — something they did not do before. This will cost around $14,000.

Senator Dalton Glasscock then motioned for an increase of $14,000 to the Student Involvement funding.

During the debate, senator Caleb Davis did a calculation on how much a $14,000 increase would raise the price per credit hour.

Davis estimated a 4.5-cent raise to pay for the $14,000 increase.

Senator Brandon James then used the calculation to argue for the increase.

“Student Involvement serves every student on campus. It does a lot for everybody on campus,” James said. “I ask you, ‘Is the 4.5 cent investment worth your money?’”

The motion for the $14,000 increase then went to a vote. It tied 11-11.

When a tie happens, the SGA Vice-President is the tiebreaker.

SGA Vice-President Bri Kitchings voted to pass the motion to the Budget and Finance Committee for a recommendation.

“It is obvious that we still need to hash it out,” Kitchings said.

Next, the Student Fees committee will meet again and consider the $14,000 change to Student Involvement funding — making changes if needed.

If they decide to add an amount the to the budget, then it will be voted on next meeting. 

SGA will meet again Wed. at 6:30 p.m. in RSC 265.