Pride Prom gives attendees a chance to show their true colors

Ollie McCoy dances during the Pride Prom event hosted by ODI and Spectrum on April 22 in the RSC.

Members of Spectrum and other community members dressed up for a night of dancing and other activities in the Rhatigan Student Center on April 22.

Spectrum’s annual Pride Prom, co-sponsored with the Office of Diversity and Inclusion, gave LGBTQ+ students the opportunity to experience a night similar to a high school prom that they might have missed out on. 

“We started it because a lot of LGBTQ students don’t get to go to their prom because either they’re not really welcomed with their partner or in being their authentic selves,” Faculty Advisor Jennifer Pearson said. “It’s also just a way to kind of celebrate.”

An online Pride Prom was held last year and canceled the year before then due to the COVID-19 pandemic.

“We just wanted to make it, like, a little bigger because we had it online which was nice, but also everyone was talking over each other so you couldn’t have small conversations,” Spectrum President Cameron Boyd said.

The dance aimed to make a welcoming environment for all individuals.

“I didn’t get a lot of prom experiences when I was in high school,” Kat Snider, a student majoring in print media, said. “My friend wanted to come, so we decided to come together. I like the vibe of everyone and being around everyone in the community.”