A different kind of Valentine’s flower

Student Wellness Action Team (SWAT) passed out a different kind of flower in the Rhatigan Student Center Wednesday.

Instead of lilac or rose, the flowers carried the scent of strawberry and grape. SWAT handed out the paper flowers, which carried sexual awareness phrases or facts and condoms attached.  

Even though the flowers were about sexual awareness, SWAT said they were also promoting health when it comes to the physical, mental and emotional needs of the student body.

“We are promoting sexual awareness with the condom flowers because Valentine’s Day is near,” said Kelly Ha, SWAT coordinator. “We want to get people thinking about what they are doing this weekend.”

This is the second year the organization passed out the unique condom flowers, and they said the need is great. Many students approached them and stuffed a flower or two in their pocket before hurrying away. One student had his hands full and had members of SWAT help put the flowers in his pocket for him.

Other students were not interested in the flowers, which made for a few uncomfortable and awkward moments, SWAT President Brittany Osborn said.

“People don’t realize they should be protecting themselves,” Osborn said. “We had people coming up and saying things like, ‘we don’t use condoms because we have other methods.’”

Other students did not take the condoms because they are virgins or are married.

“We respect people’s decisions to abstain, but we know that’s not true for everyone,” Osborn said.

The organization said they plan to do the event again next year and to distribute more promotions for students to get them to think about healthy lifestyles.

“We are going to pass out care packages for spring break on March 12,” Ha said. “We will continue to announce more activities on our Facebook page.”

If a student wants to get involved with the SWAT team, they are encouraged to go to the group’s Facebook page at “Wichita State SWAT” or attend meetings at 7:30 p.m. on Tuesdays in the Heskett Center, room 206.