Orchestra seeks SGA funding

The Wichita State University Symphony Orchestra scaled back their travel plans after their original goal of a Europe tour fell through due to a lack of funds. 

Last Wednesday, the Wichita State Student Government Association discussed a funding bill for the WSU Symphony Orchestra to take part in the concert tour for a week in May.

The trip is an opportunity for the orchestra to demonstrate its talent and the quality of WSU music programs.

The bill includes $35,500 to pay for travel and instrument rental expenses.

Even though members have been raising money during the past few months, the orchestra has yet to reach their necessary total for the trip — about $110,000.

Two musicians from the orchestra came to last Wednesday’s SGA meeting.

Director of public relations Marinés Figueroa Arrivillaga asked them if their previous fundraising was successful.

“You recently hosted a fundraiser with Mac & Cheese [sales]. What happened with that?” Figueroa said. “Did you do well on the fundraiser? Do you still need this much money?”

“Yes,” said Jorge Andres Moreno, a cello player in the orchestra. “We have done as much as we can.”

Wade Robinson, WSU Vice President for campus life and university relations, asked Moreno if he thought that the orchestra could raise the rest of the money.

“You need $110,000,” Robinson said. “SGA can only allocate $35,000. What is the reality of fundraising $75,000 through outside sources?”

“Certainly, we are trying,” Moreno said.

As of now, the trip is still up in the air. The money will be given to the orchestra only if they can get the rest of the money.

Also in Wednesday’s meeting, SGA passed a $1,400 funding bill for the English Graduate Student Association to attend a Seattle conference. Two funding bills, one for the Vietnamese Student Association and one for the 2014 Wichita Jazz Festival went through first reads.

The first funding bill was for two student groups — the English Graduate Student Association and the Vietnamese Student Association.

The senate will vote on the orchestra proposal Wednesday. They will also go through second reads and votes for the other funding bills.

Student fees hearings concluded Friday. The Student Fees committee will address Senate with a proposed budget during meeting at 6:30 p.m. on Wednesday in RSC 256.