Higher education system needs a revamp

Some information we learn as students may seem useless after we graduate, such as finding the value of x, defining van der Waals forces and listing the parts of the plot pyramid, but society has deemed it necessary information. 

If everything we learn is meant to prepare us for the future, the higher education system in the United States needs to be reassessed. With the high tuition rates we pay, degrees should be completely tailored to our career paths.  

Most of the people I have expressed my frustrations to lately have a few arguments to back our current education system. I respectfully disagree.

Argument 1: General education creates choices.

Since the dawn of our school-going days, learning has essentially been structured around four basic subjects: English, math, science and social sciences. 

We were also introduced to a plethora of elective courses in high school. By graduation, most of us knew which subjects we loved or loathed. 

General education should be available as elective courses for those students who are still unsure or are passionate about the subjects. Students who have mapped out their futures shouldn’t be subjected to those courses again.

Argument 2: General education prepares you for the future.

In my 10 years as a reporter, I have yet to use an algebraic equation to write an article or design a news page. My body hasn’t shut down, because I don’t know how every organ functions.

My time and money would be better spent on courses I am passionate about. 

There are many courses available in the Elliott School of Communication that I don’t have space for on my transcript. It would be much more beneficial to my future to nix the useless general education classes and replace them with additional communications courses.

Argument 3: General education makes you a well-rounded person.

Being a well-rounded person involves more than education. Integrity, volunteering and experiencing other cultures are equally, if not more, important aspects of character.

Forcing ourselves to absorb information just to pass a class doesn’t make for well-rounded individuals. Memorizing subject matter just to regurgitate it onto a test and forget it, is a waste of money and time. For those of us who can’t comprehend a certain course, the only thing we have to show for our struggles is a lower GPA.

Argument 4: It’s interesting. Broaden your mind.

General education classes beyond middle school have been more review than expansion. Even in adulthood, we have the same old plot pyramids, elements and algebraic equations smashed into our skulls as if they’re new information.

Yet, when I open my biology book, the pages instantly melt into a puddle of indecipherable ink stains. I didn’t understand it in seventh grade, and this semester doesn’t look promising either.

Some of the information I have retained is interesting, and I do find myself curious about certain subjects. But I don’t need to waste hundreds of dollars to learn the little bit of information I would like to know. 

The power of Google is at my fingertips, and the information online is dumbed down enough to comprehend it. 

The reason I am in school is to polish my journalism skills, not to dabble in a variety of subjects that are unrelated and useless to my career path.