WSU Service Week begins Tuesday

Service Week at Wichita State begins Tuesday, and with it come many opportunities for students to get involved on campus and in the community.

From Tuesday through Saturday, Student Involvement is sponsoring several events to help students help others. Lyston Skerritt, WSU coordinator of student organizations and civic engagement, helped put together the week’s schedule and activities. He said the events are important because part of WSU’s mission is to make a difference in the community.

“So what we we’re looking to do is create an opportunity where not only students, but faculty and staff, can really do some work in the Wichita community,” Skerritt said.

The events are different each day.

Tuesday’s kickoff is “Stop Hunger Now,” a food-packing project that takes place from 1 p.m. to 4 p.m. on the Rhatigan Student Center’s north patio. Skerritt said individuals, groups or even entire university offices can come and help package food, which will be sent to needy people in South Africa and some South American countries.

On Wednesday, a Community Engagement Fair will be held from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. on the north patio of the RSC.

“That’s just going to be non-profits and volunteer sites outside the Rhatigan that we’re going to ask to come and display their information,” Skerritt said. “[They will] give students opportunities to sign up [and] get some information.”

Thursday is National Student Day, which is hosted by the University Bookstore. From 10 a.m. until 4 p.m., the bookstore will celebrate the service and volunteerism of students with giveaways, free food, live music and sales. A charity drive will be going on to collect items for local organizations.

“A lot of bookstores around the nation just kind of highlight that day as a service day,” Skerritt said.

The RSC will also have an open house on Thursday for those who haven’t visited the building, and in the basement, Shocker Sports Grill and Lanes will be hosting free bowling and billiards from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m., as well as an autograph signing by new baseball coach, Todd Butler, from 11 a.m. to 11:30 a.m.

To find a complete schedule of events for National Student Day, go to wichita.edu and search “National Student Day.”

Friday and Saturday are “Make a Difference Days,” where students and staff can actually sign up to volunteer in the community. Friday’s shifts will be from noon to 5 p.m., and Saturday’s shifts will be from 8 a.m. until 1 p.m. Habitat for Humanity, the Union Rescue Mission and the Opportunity Project are some of the organizations that will be helped.

“The goal is to get 2,500 hours of service,” Skerritt said. “We’re kind of highlighting that.”

Volunteers can go to wichita.edu and search “Make a Difference Day” to view and register for available shifts and projects. Registration closes Wednesday.

After volunteer shifts are finished on Saturday, Service Week will end with Big Pink Volleyball, a fundraiser for breast cancer awareness, in the Heskett Center from 1 p.m. to 5 p.m. Team registrations are due at 5 p.m. Tuesday to Student Health Services. Forms can be found at wichita.edu/shs under “In the News.”

Skerritt is excited to see the results of the service-oriented week and encouraged anyone to sign up for the events.

“The more, the merrier,” he said.