Missouri transfer Ronnie DeGray III commits to Wichita State

Ronnie DeGray III announced his transfer to Wichita State’s men’s basketball team on May 3, via Twitter.

The former University of Missouri forward will play during the 2023-24 season if he is eligible, which remains uncertain due to his previous transfer from the University of Massachusetts-Amherst during the 2020-21 season.   

According to The Wichita Eagle, “sources with knowledge of the situation” are optimistic about DeGray’s ability to play because of a knee injury that took him out of the last 16 games this past season at Missouri. 

If eligible to play, the 6-foot-6 forward has two years of eligibility. As a freshman at UMass, he averaged 8.7 points per game. In the 2021-2022 season at Missouri, he averaged 8.3 points. This average fell to 2.1 points this past season. 

DeGray is the fifth new player to commit to Wichita State so far. 

Fellow transfers include senior center Jacob Germany, junior point guard Bijan Cortes, and junior wing Harlond Beverly. Freshman Joy Ighovodja will also play for the Shockers, following his signing to Oral Roberts and subsequent move after head coach Paul Mills came to WSU.

Players coming back from the 2022-23 season include junior guard Xavier Bell, junior center Quincy Ballard, junior wing Colby Rogers, sophomore forward Isaac Abidde, and sophomore wing Jalen Ricks.

Wichita State has three more available spots for the next season.