Former marine seeks his next mission in life

Service defines the character and purpose of Joseph Clay, a Marine Corps veteran and Wichita State College Republicans chair.

During his four years in the Marine Corps, and two in the National Guard, Clay knew his mission — to serve his country. As a political science student, his current mission is working toward securing a job with the Federal Emergency Management Agency or another disaster response organization.

“I want to be part of something that helps people in their time of need,” Clay said. “When I was 18, I felt like I wanted to go in the Marine Corps, because I wanted to be a part of something bigger than myself.”

Though Clay knew his stint in the Marine Corps was good for “the larger mission,” he found it hard to do something good with the violence surrounding him. When he got out, he taught at a juvenile detention facility before coming to WSU as a full-time student. School is a “stepping stone” for him, although he has days where he would rather be working.

“I realized that I wanted something better for myself,” he said. “It’s hard to go back to school if you’ve been out for so long.”

Clay has been actively looking for a place within FEMA with his graduation date set for December.

“There’s big cases like Hurricane Sandy, Hurricane Katrina and the BP oil spill that have just devastated ecosystems and families throughout the United States,” Clay said. “For someone like me, that’s a place where there is a need, and that’s why I want to do anything in my power to get myself in a place that can help others…[On applications,] all I asked is to be put where the most need is.”

Clay grew up in poverty, constantly moving around with his family. That experience has driven him to help others, especially those who are in the same situation he experienced as a child.

He helps the community by coaching the Wichita Tigers second-grade football team, a group that he moves up with as they grow older.

“I work with another coach to get these kids ready for not only football, but for life — teach them discipline, teach them how to work well as a team — because wherever you go in life, you’re going to be part of some kind of a team,” he said.

Clay is also developing a ‘Scared Straight’ program for a youth home in Wichita. He wants the kids to have a chance to excel in life, rather than living lives wrecked by drugs or gang activities. He said he helps because he sees himself in them.

“Before I went into the Marine Corps, I was in a bad crowd,” Clay said. “I was doing no good with myself, and I would have ended up in a gutter or in jail. So, I want to bring that message to other kids around Wichita.”

Clay joined College Republicans to be involved on campus and “bring a volunteer spirit to Wichita State,” in addition to helping “take the next step in politics.” He said it’s important for students to find a place where they belong on campus.

“The most important thing is to find where you can do the best good. I speak to every veteran out there when I say it’s important for us to find our next mission, because without that, we would wither away,” Clay said. “With the things we’ve been taught, it’s important to be moving towards that next goal. And that’s for anyone. For me, it’s ‘advance the greater good,’ wherever that may be.”