Convocation an exciting start to a new year

Wu-Shock commanding the WSU band during Convocation 2013 inside Koch Arena.

Convocation has been a Wichita State staple for the past 14 years, and this year’s event continued the tradition with enthusiastism.

Thousands of students wearing black and yellow flocked to Charles Koch Arena on Tuesday afternoon. Some were freshman and transfer students, intrigued to discover what Convocation was exactly.

Others returned after attending for several years, presumably persuaded by the free lunch, T-shirts and celebration with fellow Shockers.

The event started with the Shocker Sound pep band playing the ever-popular war chant that it made famous during the Men’s NCAA basketball run this past spring, and other Shocker spirit songs. Student Government Association President Darren Beckham and Vice President Brianna Kitchings emceed the event and introduced the speakers.

Beckham and Kitchings recognized the many faces of Shocker Athletics, including head volleyball coach Chris Lamb, new baseball coach Todd Butler, Jody Adams, women’s basketball coach and Gregg Marshall, head coach of men’s basketball.

All of the coaches were greeted with cheers and enthusiasm. The last year’s successes in athletics helped energize the crowd.

After the acknowledgment of the coaches, student athletes stepped up to the microphone. They encouraged their fellow Shockers to attend athletic events and support their teams. Sophomore men’s basketball player, Ron Baker spoke for his team. 

Before Baker started speaking, a long female voice shouted, “I love you, Ron,” from the crowd, garnering laughs from the crowd and Baker’s smile.

Baker spoke about the new scoreboard installed over the summer and how he wants students to come to the games this year,. 

President John Bardo spoke next about the qualities that make WSU a unique place for students. 

“It’s another great day to be a Shocker,” he said. “This is a university that is truly on the rise. We’re going to be bigger. We’re going to be better and we’re going to continue to do right by the people of this city and this state.”

He said WSU “truly is world-class” and ended his speech with on a note of support for the team and shockers.

Each year, Convocation highlights one of the colleges that make up WSU. This year it was the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences. Ron Matson, interim dean for the school, spoke about the many prospects LAS offers to its students. 

“We are a college of great opportunity and great potential,” he said. “We are providing opportunities for students to succeed.”

LAS senior Andrew Longhofer also spoke. “Do not waste your general education,” because LAS offers a great program where students can find not only their major, but maybe something they will find they are passionate about. 

The final speaker of the morning was Brooke Amos, a WSU alumna who owns her own practice as an attorney.

Amos encouraged the crowd to take advantage of opportunities offered during their time spent on campus.

“Dream big, because at Wichita State, they can set you up to be anything,” she said. “We are more than just a university. We are family.”

After the event in Koch concluded, students filled the hallways of the arena, waiting to get their free T-shirts and lunches.