Ulrich exhibit showcases professors’ talent

Part of being a professor at a university means continuing to research and publish work. Part of being an Art Education professor at Wichita State means occasionally displaying work at the Ulrich Museum.

“They (faculty) have talent and skill and ability of their own, and they deserve to be featured and highlighted,” Clonts said.

Since late April, the Ulrich Museum has been displaying work from professors of the School of Art and Design for their 19th biennial faculty art exhibit.

The exhibit happens every two years and highlights the creative work of art educators, and gives them an opportunity to show their career outside of the classroom.

“It’s important to display the wealth of talent we have among our faculty,” said Jessy Clonts, Public Relations and Marketing Manager for the Ulrich Museum. “They’re obviously here to help educate their students, but there is a reason why they are here and it’s because they know what they are doing.”

There is a broad diversity of mediums with 20 artists contributing to the exhibit. Art pieces feature paintings, ceramics, photography and technological art forms such as graphic design and digital imaging.

“One thing is for sure; there is a lot of diversity, which I think is a good thing,” Wyatt McCrea said. McCrea is an Art Education professor. “Each individual brings their own contribution to the visual arts.”

McCrea said the exhibit serves to show current and potential art students the available opportunities in the visual arts, and to display the professionalism from the Art Department.

“We have faculty that have been well-established here for a long time and then we have some young ones that come in and help bring in their influence,” McCrea said. “They are all professionals and I really believe that we have a high standard. We’ve had a lot of people who have graduated from here that went on and have done some top-notch things in the field of art.”

Lisa Rundstrom, a faculty in studio arts and WSU ShiftSpace Gallery Manager, said the exhibit allows students to have a “direct experience” with their teachers.

“It gives validity to what we do and to what they’re doing and really direction to it as well.” Rundstrom said. “By seeing your work, it creates this mentoring relationship or strengthens it in a way nothing else can.”

The Biennial exhibit will be up until Aug. 11, and is free to WSU students.