Committee weighs student fees

As 2013 gets its start, Student Government Association’s Student Fees Committee begins the long process of deciding fiscal year 2014’s budget for student fees.

Last Thursday and Friday, 20 campus organizations ranging from the rowing team to Cooperative Education met with the committee to request operation funds for 2014. A total of $11.6 million was recommended out of the $12.5 million requested. Even though many groups were not allocated the amount they were hoping for, there was a 6.08 percent increase from last year’s total student fees amount, which translates into $2.15 more per credit hour in 2014.

Even though some of the increase came from requests for equipment needs at the Heskett Center, inflation and ambitious operational goals, the leading cause seems to be from a proposed 4 percent salary increase for benefits-eligible unclassified employees. Given these circumstances, SGA Treasurer Tessie Arambula said it could have been worse.

“Wichita State, unfortunately, is on the lower end in terms of salary comparison when it comes to universities that are similar in size,” Arambula said. “Something [WSU President John Bardo] was really pushing for that we had to make a ton of changes for was a 4 percent salary raise to bring them up to fair market value. We thought that it would be much higher so we’re pretty pleased with $2.15.”

Although this increase will not quite reach what is considered fair market value, it is an effort to keep professors at WSU.

“WSU as a whole seems to be very tight with funds and it’s kind of put us behind so we are playing catch up,” Arambula said. “We are losing great professors and great faculty and staff because they’re getting better job offers elsewhere. We have so many professors that are proud to be at Wichita State and that pride is the only thing keeping them here.”

Even though this process is past its preliminary stage, the committee recommendations still have to go through two SGA Senate reads along with debate and a final vote. The vote will be what ultimately allocates the funds for fiscal year 2014.

The first read is tonight at 6:30 p.m. during SGA’s meeting in Room 305 in the Rhatigan Student Center. The second read, debate and the vote will most likely be postponed until Feb. 27 because many senators will be out of town the week of Feb. 20.