Going Greek provides a way to make new friends

Student involvement not only looks good on resumes, it leads to new friends and opportunities to give back to the community. Wichita State’s Greek life has led the way with this by anchoring itself in philanthropy and leadership. 

Senior Kristina Durham, president of the Multicultural Greek Council and Delta Sigma Theta, said that community involvement was part of why she decided to go Greek. 

“My favorite part about being Greek is the service we do,” she said. “We go out and give back to the community and have fun while doing it.”

Sophomore Matthew Conklin, president of the Interfraternity Council and treasurer of Phi Delta Theta, has the same attitude toward his chapter. 

“Going Greek has been one of the best decisions of my life,” he said. 

Currently, there are 19 organizations within the Greek circle at WSU. Those are split into three councils, the Women’s Panhellenic Association, the Multicultural Greek Council and the Interfraternity Council. Sororities in the Women’s Panhellenic Association host events such as the upcoming 9 Ball Tournament on Jan. 29, and Bras for a Cause, an event to help support women’s basketball coach Jody Adams in her efforts to promote breast cancer awareness. 

The Multicultural Greek Council has eight chapters—four sororities and four fraternities. These groups are in charge of the annual Shock the Yard event and a step dancing show on April 20 at the Century II Concert Hall. 

The Interfraternity Council has seven chapters of fraternities, the newest being Lambda Chi Alpha. It will be hosting an All Greek Neighborhood Clean Up on April 6 and a Fraternity Master’s Class on April 29. 

Most sororities and fraternities take part in Shocktoberfest and Hippodrome as well as compete in intramural sports. Some members hold positions in several organizations outside of the Greek councils as well as hold positions in the Student Government Association. Involvement, philanthropy and leadership are the values taught to each Greek student. 

The Women’s Panhellenic Association will be adding a new sorority in April. This is the first time this has happened in the last 55 years. Greek life is also looking to add a new Asian-American-based sorority to the list sometime soon. 

The Interfraternity Council has a new fraternity coming in the fall, Pi Kappa Phi. More information will be provided as soon as details are set into place. 

Going Greek can provide a lot of benefits to current and prospective members. 

“What attracted me to my fraternity was the high caliber of individuals that would challenge me to become the greatest version of myself,” Conklin said. “I’ve benefitted by learning from members of similar and competing perspectives, both of which have enhanced my approach to school work and social life.” 

Being part of a sorority or fraternity can also be a gateway into new forms of thinking. 

“Being Greek has helped me to see things from other people’s perspectives,” Durham said. “When you’re a part of a sisterhood such as ours, you’re taught you’re no longer an ‘I.’ It simply becomes ‘we.’ How we can help people, how we can continue to give back.” 

Coordinator of Sorority/Fraternity Life Gina Stewart said that the relationships a student builds in their Greek organization would stay with him or her for life. 

“Greek impacts you beyond your time at college,” Stewart said. “During college you make memories with these great friends and build relationships on campus. After college, those friendships turn into networks in the work environment. Chapters also give you real-world experience.” 

Recruitment is different for each organization. If a student is interested in going Greek, there is an application online at www.wichita.edu/greeklife.