Comedian Bo Burnham to perform at Wichita State

The student’s voice was heard, the show was booked and Friday Bo Burnham will be here. The Hughes Metroplex at 29th and Oliver will be the place for Burnham’s 8 p.m. performance. Tickets are still available through the Student Activities Council on the third floor of the Rhatigan Student Center. Students can purchase tickets for $7 with their Shocker IDs, or $10 without. 

SAC President Tessa Cattermole has been in charge of Burnham’s performance at Wichita State. Her duties include setting up a contract between the college and the artists, preparing their meals and recommending hotel rooms. 

“Members are put onto separate committees with different responsibilities,” she said. “I have an administrative role and oversee the committees.”

Cattermole said compared with some performers, Burnham has been easy to work with. 

“He just wanted like a large cheese pizza and a ton of Red Bull,” she said. “Some people come with a list of like 100 things, but he was pretty easy.”

Burnham arrives a few hours before the show, does a sound-check and a music run through to make sure the equipment is up to par and then performs. Photography is allowed during the first 15 minutes of the show, but videotaping is prohibited. 

Cattermole said that aside from a few fan favorites, Burnham will be performing some new material, as well as incorporating some kind of stage light performance.

“His show is supposed to be very [audience] interactive,” she said. 

Burnham’s claim to fame came from an explosion of popularity on YouTube when his channel went viral in 2006. The performer made an empire of playing music in his bedroom and writing catchy tunes with his keyboard. He also plays the guitar. 

At the age of 18, Burnham was the youngest person in the history of Comedy Central to record his own stand-up show. A year later he launched his first CD and started touring.  

Even on a college campus, there was a question of whether his material would be offensive or inappropriate for WSU. Making his name on slant rhymes and politically incorrect jargon, Burnham’s show has always been recommended for older teens and young adults. This show is no different.

“We were aware that some individuals may find his material inappropriate,” Cattermole said. “With that in mind, the show is being advertised for mature audiences.”

Doors will open at 7 p.m. and tickets will be available at the door if you have not bought an advanced ticket.