News in Brief – Nov. 26

Concert tonight by guitar ensemble

The Wichita State Guitar Ensemble will perform a concert tonight alongside the Jazz Arts Ensemble. 

Featured in the program are works by Charles Mingus, which are heavily influenced by the blues. Pieces performed will be “Nostalgia in Times Square,” “Duke Ellington’s Sound of Love,” “Better Get It in our Soul” and Wynton Kelly’s “Kelly Blue.”

Tickets are $7 and can be obtained through the WSU Fine Arts Box Office. 

The show is open to the public and runs from 7:30 p.m. to 9:30 p.m. in the Miller Concert Hall in the Duerksen Fine Arts Center. 

Diversity Week gets underway today

Nov. 26-30 is Diversity Week, which is sponsored by the Office of Multicultural Affairs.

Events get underway today with “Students around the world: An open window on WSU’s cultures.” A map will be located in the Hubbard Hall lobby where students can add a pin to indicate the country they are from. 

It will be going on from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. on Nov. 26, 27 and 29. 

Student robbed near south end of campus

On the morning of Tuesday, Nov. 19, a 28-year-old female Wichita State student was robbed of her iPhone while walking north on the sidewalk from the Intensive English Language Center, near 17th and Hillside. 

According to the crime alert sent out via email, the suspect grabbed the woman in the arm, hit her shoulder with his fist, and took the phone from her hand. 

The woman shouted for help and the suspect fled. The suspect is described as a black male in his 20’s. No weapons were involved. 

If you have information about the crime, contact the UPD Detective Section at 978-3450. 

—Austin Colbert