Mocktail Mixer promotes sober fun

The drinks for the evening were two types of slushie, orange cherry blossom punch, and citrus drinks—all non-alcoholic.  

“It is still fun,” freshman Levi Yager said. “Free T-shirt, free drinks—it’s smarter, too.”

The Fairmount Towers Dining Hall at Wichita State hosted a “Mocktail Mixer” for students on Friday as part of National College Alcohol Awareness Week. 

A sobriety station offered students a way to experience the effects of alcohol—without actually drinking—with the aid of impairment goggles. 

“It’s just showing people what alcohol can do,” junior Rachel Tuck said. “It shows what the influences are without actually being drunk.”

University Police Sgt. Gary Bequette asked students to walk a straight line on the floor.

A table with information about the effects of alcohol and the Shocker Safe Ride program was near the dance floor. Shocker Safe Ride is a program that provides free transportation to WSU students at certain times and days of the week. 

A designated driver will come and pick up an intoxicated student and drive them to their destination in their car. Students received a free T-shirt for putting the number in their phone. 

“I think it’s important students experience the fun without the stereotypical content of college,” junior Andrea Jacobson said. 

Other activities included a disc jockey, twister, dancing, pool, ping-pong and giveaways. 

“We strive to provide other Friday-night alternatives,” Student Activities Council president Tessa Cattermole said. 

The office of Housing and Residence Life, University Dining Services, the Alcohol Advisory Board and the Student Activities Council sponsored the event.