17th annual pumpkin run brings fall fun to campus

The 17th annual Pumpkin Run, a Wichita State tradition, was held Saturday and made for a smashing success. Around 550 people gathered, some in costume to brave the chilly October morning, and take part in the 5k run through the WSU campus.

“It’s just something Campus Recreation likes to do,” Shelley Rich, associate director of programs, said. “Campus Recreation has been doing them for years—it’s a great event. More students should participate.”

The Pumpkin Run is open to students, faculty, staff and general public. “We have different registration types. It’s open to the community as well,” Rich said.

Kacey Barr, graduate assistant of Fitness and Wellness, coordinated the volunteers for the event and gave support. “I made sure the runners were going in the right direction and cheered them on,” she said.

After the participants crossed the finish line, they were treated to bottles of water, protein bars, bananas, and other snacks provided by local sponsors. There was also pumpkin painting and free massages from local businesses.

There were also door prizes. Gift certificates to GNC, tickets to WSU sporting events, and other prizes were given out. Eric Maki, director of Campus Recreation, and Wichita State’s mascot, Wu Shock, gave awards for the fastest times to competitors toward the end of the festivities.

The fastest time belonged to junior Jameson Fay who crossed the finish line at 16 minutes and 47 seconds. This was his first time participating in the Pumpkin Run.

Vanessa Schroeder, a 2011 WSU graduate, ran the Pumpkin Run for the first time this year. “It was fun. I enjoyed it,” Schroeder said. “I’m especially excited about the massages at the end.”

Freshman Angie Hobbs was part of The Brunners, a group of freshmen and sophomores who participated in the marathon. “I had a blast—everyone did,” Hobbs said.