WSU Symphony to honor film classics

Any moviegoer can attest to the power of a soundtrack: it can define a movie’s emotional impact and linger with the watcher for weeks or months.

On Tuesday, the Wichita State Symphony takes on the relationship between music and film by performing a multimedia concert that pulls from the classic film, “To Kill a Mockingbird,” as well as other films.

“Film and music are both geared to convey emotions at a very visceral level,” WSU associate professor Mark Laycock said. Laycock is the conductor for the upcoming “To Kill A Mockingbird” symphony performance. The concert is set for 7 p.m. Tuesday in Miller Concert Hall at the Duerksen Fine Arts Center.

“The concert is a celebration of the visual and aural experiences that have united generations of moviegoers,” he said. The concert also commemorates the 50th anniversary of the classic film. The multimedia presentation combines the WSU symphony performance of excerpts from the film’s soundtrack with images from the film.

Actress Mary Bradham will share her experiences playing the role of Scout in the 1962 film.

“The visual and aural elements, combined with the personal connection of someone involved in the production, will make this a very special evening,” Laycock said.

“I thought this would be a terrific opportunity for us to reach a new audience,” Laycock continued. “The book and film resonated with a lot of people, and the music is so moving.”

He said that the WSU Symphony traditionally performs a pop concert during the fall semester, which ranges from holiday or Halloween-themed to collaborations with the rock band Kansas.

“The concert will also feature a selection of film music from other Hollywood classics: ‘The Little Mermaid,’ ‘How the West Was Won,’ ‘Star Trek’ and ‘1941’,” Laycock said. “You do not need to be a fan of classical music to attend; these selections will appeal to just about anyone.”

“This is the perfect opportunity to hear our excellent students and to experience the passion, skill and dedication they bring to every performance,” Laycock said. “It is also a powerful tribute to the first-rate faculty in our School of Music.”

Tickets are available now from the WSU Fine Arts Box Office. Students can purchase discounted tickets for $3.