Getting to know the new SGA president

Luis Carbajal starts his term as Student Government president today. In May 2013, Carbajal will graduate with degrees in Political Science, Economics, Strategic Communication and Spanish. However, Carbajal has a lot on his agenda before even thinking about donning a cap and gown.

What other leadership positions have better equipped you to become SGA president?

In high school I was captain of the soccer team, co-captain of the football team, founding member of Students Against Drunk Driving, president of National Honor Society and a member of Student Activities Council. In college I have been in student government, president of Phi Theta Kappa honor society and Regional Officer for the state of Kansas, community service chair for Phi Delta Theta, Chair of the Food Advisory Committee, vice president of Order of Omega, a Greek Honor Society.

What plans do you have as president?

We want SGA to better interact with the student body, create a new programming committee represented by student organizations on campus, having more scholarships for student success, celebrate the 100th anniversary for SGA, and help with the selection of the new Heskett Director. I will be in the office every day if students need to reach me, and my schedule will be posted in the SGA office.

Where is your favorite place to go in Wichita? 

Phi Delta Theta house, Sedgwick County Zoo

What has been your greatest challenge?

Meeting people’s expectations; I like to keep people happy.

How will you use that challenge to become a better leader? 

It has made me a better person. I’m not as critical, and I am more open-minded. I can look at the bigger picture, and not get flustered easily.

What do you look for in those that you hire?

Dependable, responsible, trustworthiness, communication skills and hardworking.

What is your favorite hobby?

I like to travel; Las Vegas, Yellowstone Park and Lake Tahoe are some of my favorite places.

Where do you enjoy volunteering? 

Big Brothers Big Sisters, Kansas Humane Society, Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure.

What has been your greatest accomplishment?

Not disappointing my mother. She’s always been the backbone of what I do.

What are some resources a lot of students don’t know about?

The Student’s Savings Club is sponsored by SGA. It creates discounts for students on food and clothing within a five-mile radius of campus. There are about 48 different locations around campus, and students just need their Shocker ID to receive a discount. Just visit studentsavingsclub.com to see the complete list of locations.

What are your plans after undergraduate education?

I want to get into politics after I graduate, go to law school, become a U.S. Senator, and, maybe, work in the White House.

What advice would you give underclassmen that want to be in your position in a couple of years?

Do it for the right reasons, represent the whole student body rather than yourself, and separate your wants from the university’s wants and needs.