Bowling falls short in first meet

Justin Zwaschka, a junior from St. Joseph, Missouri, slides into a release Sunday at North Rock Lanes in Wichita.

Manny De Los Santos

Manny De Los Santos

Wichita State men’s bowling finished the first day of the Mid-States Intercollegiate Bowling Tournament with 6025 pins downed and were named the No. 2 seed for the final eight face-off.

The Shockers defeated Hastings in the first round to move into the semifinals, where they faced their first woes of the day against Midland University. The Shockers won the first two games of the best of five match 213-180 and 204-189.

In the third game Midland strung together five straight strikes to win 226-182 and forced a fourth game where they inched ahead to 195-189. In the fifth game the Shockers had a chance to end the Midland comeback, but a failure to obtain a strike gave Midland an opportunity to win the final game.

Midland hit the first strike but was unable to gain the second.

Just minutes after their semifinal victory the Shockers were on lane with the other host school, Newman University, for the final. Newman flashed their firepower early with six straight strikes in the middle of the first game for a 243-203 win. Newman began the second game with five straight strikes, which was able to outlast the Shockers 235-213 to allow Newman won the final game and match at 189-183.

“Our game is a game of match-ups” head coach Gordon Vadakin said. “The right balls, angles, speeds, that’s a lot of stuff and we just didn’t have enough guys with the right combination of those skills to get the ball to go through the pins and strike as much as them.”

The women’s bowling team finished second on day, one behind Sam Houston State to take the No. 2 seed.

The Shockers won their first match 3-2 against Hastings under pressure.

“We were playing pretty well and making our shots then Hastings got some breaks there that were off target but were able to strike” assistant coach Mark Lewis said. “We got flustered but we got through it.”

In their second match against Lindenwood, WSU jumped out to a two game lead. Lindenwood went on to win the next three games to knock the Shockers out of the tournament.

Junior Sydney Brummet hit 224.67 average in day one to win tournament MVP and lead the Shockers to their semifinal run.

“We were just trying to beat the lanes” Brummet said.

The Shockers travel to Cedar Rapids, Iowa, for the Five Seasons Classic beginning Oct. 29.