Rave Guardian App combines technology, safety

The+Sunflower

New, innovative computer apps are not always just for fun or academics.

One of the latest apps that combines technology and safety is the Rave Guardian Campus Safety app, which Wichita State just launched for students, staff and faculty to use.

Rave Guardian is a free app that allows users to create safety profiles with information about themselves and invite family and friends to become a part of their safety network.

After creating your profile, you can request friends, family and even the WSU Police Department to be your “guardian,” and virtually walk with you anywhere you go. Location services must be enabled for an accurate GPS location.

“We’re just trying to offer something to improve the safety of everyone in our university community,” said Corey Herl, Operations Captain of the WSU Police Department.

The app can be used in many situations. For example, if a student is going on a date and wants a guardian to be on stand by, he or she would set a timer session for when the date is supposed to end.

Once the user reaches a safe place, a code would be entered to deactivate the timer. But, if the session expires without action, the chosen guardian will be notified.

“I feel like it would make me feel safe because you feel like you’re with somebody, you’re not alone,” senior Camila Sacco said.

Herl said that if you have not chosen the WSU police department as your guardian, then arrangements with another guardian can be made about what to do in an emergency situation.

“We have already been in contact with Sedgwick County and 911 when someone isn’t on campus when using the app,” Herl said.

Not only does the app offer virtual walks home and immediate connection to the university police department, but users can also receive messages from the ShockerAlert System through the application.

Another feature of the Rave Guardian app is a duress PIN code.

In the event that you would be coerced into deactivating your safety timer session, instead of entering your regular PIN number, you enter the duress code, which is your normal PIN plus one number. Entering the special code puts your session into alert mode and notifies the university police.

“There is a specific tab in the app that will directly call us at the police department,” Herl said.

This extra layer of safety brought to campus by the app is implemented in hopes of faculty, staff and parents can be at ease by knowing they, or their student, is safe.

“We are always trying to improve safety for our campus,” Herl said.