Communication lecturer commended by SGA for ‘outstanding performance’

Sandy Sipes has been a familiar face in Elliott Hall for 11 years.

Sipes started as a graduate teaching assistant in the Elliott School of Communication, teaching public speaking courses, in 2004.

“It was a great way to get my graduate degree,” she said.

Since then, she received her master’s degree in communication, continues teaching courses in the ESC and advises Beta Theta Pi fraternity.

Her 11 years of teaching at Wichita State was recognized by Student Government Association on Wednesday in a bill that commended Sipes for her “outstanding performance as a member of the Wichita State University community,” the bill states. The bill was written by business Sen. Michael Schultz.

Schultz has known Sipes since he was a freshman, and has worked with her in his involvement in Beta Theta Pi, where Schultz serves as president. He also had Sipes as an instructor in multiple classes.

“She has had a significant impact on my life and the life of individuals in our chapter,” Schultz said. “She has done amazing work with the university. I just hear people rant and rave about how amazing she is as a teacher and as an adviser and how she’s basically like a second mom to people.”

The bill passed unanimously by SGA. A parchment of the bill will be sent to Sipes as a symbol of SGA’s “gratitude for her unwavering support of [WSU] and for all the students who have been impacted by her dedication,” the bill states.

Sipes said she was surprised and humbled to receive the honor. She started to cry when she talked about her love of teaching in the ESC.

“I have the best job in the world,” she said with tears forming in her eyes. “I really have the best job in the world with great kids. I’m so lucky to be here.”

Matthew Cecil, director of the ESC, said Sipes is an important part of the communication school.

“I sit in my office and listen to her work with students every day, and by and large, they just love her,” he said.

Sipes said being recognized for the work she does is always self-satisfying.

“I know the kids that come into my life are here for a really short time and then they move on,” she said. “It’s just nice to be recognized for the work that I do. I’m so, so honored that I’m being recognized in this.”