Student Body President Hungate issues statement of response, protestors continue sit-in

Protests will continue outside the Student Government Association's offices at 7 a.m. Thursday morning.

Paige Hungate will not step down from her role as Wichita State Student Body President, she said in a public statement released on the Student Government Association’s Facebook page.

“There is a perceived conflict of interest in me continuing within my role and my involvement in the ongoing investigation into Thursday’s incident, I was in no way involved in the alleged incident, but due to my parents’ involvement, cannot speak on it due to legal concerns,” she said in the statement.

“That will not inhibit me from addressing the concerns of racial discrimination and hatred that have validly been raised in response,” she said. “We are not divided — we are united.”

Hungate said the steps for the requested diversity training for Hungate and her cabinet have been met, and will take place sometime within the next two weeks.

She has said she will host monthly town halls starting in the fall semester. Hungate added that she supports black students who often go “unnoticed” or are “underrepresented.”

“Black lives matter. Period,” she said. “Black students bring countless great things to this institution.”

Hungate said earlier in the day that she will not sign the list of demands presented to her by the student protestors. The protestors countered by saying they would call for Hungate’s resignation otherwise.

“I know that I can achieve the things students need and demand of me,” Hungate says. “We will not let these concerns continually be swept under the rug. Thursday is a regrettable occurrence, inarguably, but it will hopefully act as a catalyst, a catalyst for real change.”

Protestors have planned to continue their sit-in outside the Student Government Association’s offices until the Rhatigan Student Center, a private facility, closes at 11 p.m. They are planning to resume their protest when the facility opens again at 7 a.m. Thursday morning.

4 Comments

4 Responses to “Student Body President Hungate issues statement of response, protestors continue sit-in”

1. Kevin on May 11th, 2017 11:00 am

Good for Paige. She represents the student body well. Do not let bully’s bring you down!

[Reply]

2. Past Social Media Comments on May 11th, 2017 4:10 pm

What about all those past social media posts? What about the LGBT community and past comments? This is what Joseph and Taben said all year and Joseph for two years and they were ignored by Bardo and the administration. Why is it more legitimate now?

[Reply]

3. WSU Activist on May 15th, 2017 4:02 pm

I think we need a vote recount.

[Reply]

Tex Reply:

I think there is enough I.T. controls in place over the system that the votes were counted correctly.

Just because you do not like the results does not mean that the results are wrong.

[Reply]

• Student Body President Hungate issues statement of response, protestors continue sit-in

Multiple Wichita State campus art pieces vandalized

UPDATE: Hut relocation will affect Monday traffic

I’m not in love with your signs

Stop letting the cable companies screw you

You like that?! Sunflower editors give their picks for the 2017 season

Response: Concerning free expression and a bulletproof vest

Want to be a good roommate? Just do the damn dishes

Wichita State names new Associate VP for Student Affairs

• Columns

Pflugradt responds: Chick-fil-A, you can stay

• Columns

New RSC tenant has a queso problem