Letter to the Editor — Paul Raymond

For those of you who are impressed by these March For Our Lives students, I want to address you all for just a moment.

I think it is important to understand and remember that even so-called “average kids” are quite eloquent and intelligent.

Children can be silly and at times difficult to comprehend, but when the circumstances demand it, children are fully capable of constructive, critical thoughts and commentary as well as becoming advocates.

There is a problem in our culture where we put children down and exclude them from intellectual conversations and debates. They are silenced when they share their opinions and adults lash out at them when young people question their logic crying disrespect. This includes elementary students, middle school students, high school students, university students and even young adults.

We absolutely have a lot to learn from them, but they have a great to deal to learn from us as well.

Adolescents are told to shut up because of our age; they are told we do not understand because we are so young. This needs to stop.

We should be empowering young people and encouraging them to be thoughtful, introspective and intellectual. That includes bringing kids into “adult” discussions and listening to them when they speak up.

Perhaps instead of shutting them up for not understanding, why not enlighten them with your wisdom?

Sit down with them and help them understand instead of turning them away. Simply dismissing young people when they try to take our place at the table is both lazy and socially reductive.

You can’t complain about them not caring when you don’t allow them to raise their voices on things we should all care about. Don’t complain about them becoming apathetic when you never allowed them to have deep and difficult conversations with you.

Having “adult” discussions with young people contributes to their development in the long term and helps them deal with reality as adults. You cannot continue to condescend upon them and expect them to care when you need them to.

You are not entitled to respect simply because you are older. If you disrespect them, do not be surprised when we return the favor in kind. Respect is a two-way street. Remember that.

—Paul Raymond