Bohm drafted third overall, Jenista taken in second round

Wichita+State+junior+Alec+Bohm+throws+to+first+for+an+out+against+USF+Friday+evening+at+Eck+Stadium.+
Wichita State junior Alec Bohm throws to first for an out against USF Friday evening at Eck Stadium.

Fresh out of high school, Alec Bohm entered the MLB Draft in 2015. He was not selected.

Three years later, everything changed.

Bohm, who just completed his junior year as Wichita State’s third baseman, was selected Monday by the Philadelphia Phillies with the third overall pick of the 2018 MLB Draft.

Bohm became the 15th Shocker to be drafted in the first round. He also made American Athletic Conference history, becoming the conference’s highest-ever draft pick.

In the 2018 season, Bohm hit .339 , with a team-high 57 runs, 55 RBIs, 14 doubles, 16 home runs, 39 walks, and nine stolen bases.

Bohm was named a second-team All-American by Baseball America, and was a semifinalist for the Golden Spikes Award and the Dick Howser Trophy in his junior campaign.

Junior first baseman Greyson Jenista got drafted in the second round as the 49th overall pick by the Atlanta Braves.

Jenista hit .309 with 54 runs, 63 hits, seven doubles, nine home runs, 38 RBI, 50 walks and 12 stolen bases in the 2018 season.

Bohm and Jenista are the third Shocker duo to be taken in the top 50 picks of the draft. Bryan Oelkers (4th pick) and Phil Stephenson (30th pick) were both taken in the 1982 draft and Erik Sonberg (18th pick) and Russ Morman (28th pick) were  taken in the 1983 draft.

Aliyah Funschelle, Multimedia Sports Editor

Aliyah Funschelle is the Multimedia Sports Editor for The Sunflower. Funschelle is a junior majoring in Sport Management with a minor in Communications. She is originally from New York, but grew up in Kansas. After graduation, Funschelle plans on getting an internship in New York working in her field of study.