Monk-Morgan, Shaw to fill academic affairs positions

Kaye Monk-Morgan and Carolyn Shaw will fill the academic affairs positions vacated by Provost Rick Muma and former Assistant to the President for Strategic Planning Cindy Claycomb, according to a university press release.

Monk-Morgan, assistant dean for students in the college of liberal arts, has been named assistant vice president for academic affairs, and chair of the political science department Carolyn Shaw is the new associate vice president for strategic enrollment management.

Monk Morgan will be responsible for “providing leadership on assessment activities of the university, regional and specialty accreditation activities, and university-wide strategic planning,” the release said.

“I look forward to continuing my service to Wichita State University by serving in this newly created role,” Monk-Morgan said. “A campus culture steeped in innovation, entrepreneurial enterprise and experimentation also needs to foster a spirit of assessment and evaluation.”

Shaw, who served as faculty senate president last year, was on the initial task force that developed the university’s strategic enrollment management plan. Her duties will include providing “leadership for university-wide enrollment management and the continued implementation of the university’s strategic enrollment management plan,” the release said.

“I look forward to working with many wonderful staff and faculty members across campus to recruit and retain students at WSU,” Shaw said.

Earlier this month, Muma told The Sunflower that the academic affairs positions would be filled by “individuals who have the skills necessary to navigate the complicated and rapidly changing higher education environment.”

Both positions were open to applications from internal candidates only.

Other finalists for the assistant vice president for academic affairs position included Jeffrey Jarman, distinguished director of the Elliott School of Communication, Deepak Gupta, director of engineering technology, and Michael Jorgenson, associate professor with a focus in ergonomics and biomechanics.

Matthew Kelly, Editor in Chief
Matthew Kelly is the editor in chief of The Sunflower.  Kelly is a junior majoring in political science and is a member of the honors college.  Kelly was born in Wichita, Kansas, and plans to pursue a career in political journalism after graduation.