Shockers collapse in second half yet again

Wichita+State+senior+Markis+McDuffie+is+tripped+up+by+Temple%27s+Shizz+Alston%2C+Jr.+in+the+second+half+of+Sunday%27s+game.+Temple+won+the+game+in+overtime.+

Wichita State senior Markis McDuffie is tripped up by Temple's Shizz Alston, Jr. in the second half of Sunday's game. Temple won the game in overtime.

Evan Pflugradt

Evan Pflugradt

Evan Pflugradt

Wichita State let another second-half lead go to waste, trying to snap Houston’s 28-game home winning streak.

The Shockers lost their fourth game in a row, falling to Houston who put together a 14-0 run in the second half. WSU is off to an 0-3 start in conference play for the first time since 2009.

For 30 minutes of Saturday’s game, the Shockers put Houston — and the nation’s leading home winning streak — on the ropes.

Holding onto a five-point lead at halftime, WSU had pushes of their own, led by senior Markis McDuffie that kept the Shockers up a point as late as 10 minutes in the second half. Ultimately, Houston prevailed, improving their record to 16-1. The Cougars won 79-70 after sinking seven second-half three-pointers.

Houston entered the game with a 15-1 record. A controversial charging call ended Houston’s perfect season in their game against Temple earlier this week.

Gregg Marshall’s Shockers are 0-4 in true road games.

After shooting 12-29 from the field with five three-pointers in the second half, WSU failed to hold onto a five point second-half lead. Just a week ago, WSU blew a 15-point lead at home to Temple. Saturday’s game at Houston was no different. In the second half, WSU’s opponents have outscored them 162-123 in the last four games.

Houston outscored WSU 46-32 in the second half. The Shockers would hit just nine field goals in the final 20 minutes of the game.

Houston’s Corey Davis, Jr., knocked down four of the Cougars’ seven threes in the second half. Davis had 20 points.

Markis McDuffie and Samajae Haynes-Jones were WSU’s two lone double-figure scorers. McDuffie had a game-high 22 points and Haynes-Jones had 14. McDuffie had four turnovers.

The Shockers will continue their hunt for their first conference win on Wednesday when they host preseason conference favorite Central Florida at Charles Koch Arena.

Marshall Sunner, Reporter

Marshall Sunner is a reporter for The Sunflower.

Sunner is a freshman at Wichita State.