SGA members travel to Topeka, meet for Higher Education Day

Several members of Wichita State’s Student Government Association trekked up to Topeka Wednesday for Higher Education Day, which is a date for student body presidents from around Kansas to speak with state legislators and representatives to lobby on certain issues that concern collegiate student bodies.

Wichita State’s SGA lobbied on behalf of Lifeline 911, a medical amnesty bill on the floor in the Kansas House of Representatives.

“Lifeline 911 is a medical amnesty bill that will protect our students from feeling that they can’t report when a student has alcohol poisoning or when they are too intoxicated and can’t fend for themselves, they would be able to call 911 without having to face repercussions,” Wichita Student Body President Shepard said.

Shepard said some people feel Lifeline 911 encourages underage drinking. However, he said the bill would prevent students from losing their lives due to drinking alcohol.

“In the case that those poor choices are made, we have to have a system set up in place that will protect them and save a life,” he said.

The eight people who went to Topeka left late Tuesday afternoon and met with the other student representatives from other colleges until about 10 p.m. By 8 a.m. the next day, all student representatives were at the State Capitol speaking to lawmakers. They left Topeka around 3:30 p.m. Wednesday in time for SGA’s weekly meeting.

Legislative Director Jarvis Lawson said lobbying on behalf of Lifeline 911 was positive.

“It’s implemented at KU and K-State and we’d love to see it all the way across Kansas,” he said.

SGA adviser Marché Fleming-Randle said she was happy members of SGA were able to attend Higher Education Day.

“I think when you go to Higher [Education] Day, it’s important that your voice is heard,” she said. “I hope they had a good voice in Topeka because some of them are seniors and won’t be back next year.”