Together we dream: 2-mile run will raise money for DACA scholarship

File+graphic+

File graphic

A two-mile run event to raise money for the DREAMers scholarship program will be held at 8:30 a.m. Saturday on the east side of campus.

The Student Organization of Social Work, SOSW, and the Rho Beta Chapter of SLB International Fraternity Inc. joined forces to create and co-host Dream Run. The meeting location is at Innovation Blvd. and 19th Street. Students, faculty and staff pay $20 and community members pay $25 to participate. All proceeds go to Wichita State’s new scholarship program for undocumented students. The scholarship was established by former Kansas Gov. Mark Parkinson and his wife, Stacy.

Sandra Aurora, SOSW president, had the idea of creating Dream Run. She said she was inspired by social work and charity races to raise awareness of the lack of financial assistance for undocumented students. DACA students cannot legally receive any federal, and sometimes state, financial aid. This includes loans, grants, scholarships, or work-study money.

“These individuals are so resilient in the face of adversities,” Aurora said. “I feel it’s my duty to be an advocate and do my part to help my peers.”

Aurora approached the SLB fraternity for its involvement in the DREAMer scholarship. The fraternity’s principles are brotherhood, scholarship, community service, and cultural awareness.

The groups reached out to Neza Tires, Azteca’s Boutique, Camarena Adelante Foundation, and eight other sponsors for support.

SOSW and the SLB encourage everyone to participate in the run. Food, trophies, and t-shirts with the “Together We Dream” motto will be available at the event.

“This event shows the compassion and the care that the university has,” SLB President Tony Ibarra said. “This city supports all walks of life — regardless of race, religion, sex, and even immigration status.”