Wichita State allows Tulsa, Oklahoma City residents to pay in-state tuition

Wichita State continues to live up to its reputation as one of the most affordable public research universities in the country. 

The university announced last week that residents in Tulsa and Oklahoma City can be Shockers for the price of in-state tuition.

The Shocker City Partnership Program added 18 Oklahoma counties that are eligible for in-state tuition, a news release said. Rates will apply to undergraduate and graduate students beginning next semester.

“Our hope is that more and more residents of Oklahoma City and Tulsa will see that WSU is a first-class institution and just a short drive away and more affordable than their other in-state research university options,” said Director of Admissions Bobby Gandu. 

Residents pay $202.70 per undergraduate credit hour while non-residents pay $480.15 per credit hour, according to numbers from the university’s website. Graduate resident students pay $273.70 per credit hour and non-residents pay $672.20 per credit hour. 

This rate does not include a discounted fee for room and board. However, the decreased tuition rate for the Oklahoma area students will increase the demand for on-campus housing, said Katie Austin, associate director for Housing and Residence Life. 

“Between Shocker Hall and Fairmount Towers, we do currently have the space to accommodate these students and would be excited to see them join us as residents on campus,” she said. “It is exciting that if the demand for housing continues to increase, we will be able to justify the need for more new housing options on campus.”

Along with the discounted tuition rate, President John Bardo said the new renovations, the university’s growth as a public university and its central location will spark Midwest students to make WSU a choice school. 

“The dominating part has to do with the mission of the university,” Bardo said to KSHB news. “We have defined marketing areas where it is more likely students will be willing to leave to come to a university as a residential student.” 

Dallas and Fort Worth are being discussed as part of the same residential rate in the future, Gandu said, but will need to have approval of the Kansas Board of Regents before this can be applied. 

Gandu said it is critical for WSU to make the university more affordable and attractive to these students.

“There is great synergy along the I-35 corridor,” Gandu said. “We’re just wanting to make sure that Wichita, and specifically Wichita State, continue to be an important part of it.”