Pumpkin Run, Gamma Phive-K kick-off fall runs

Two on-campus 5K runs are around the corner.  

Kicking off Shocktoberfest is the 20th annual Pumpkin Run at 9 a.m. Saturday, and the Crescent Classic Gamma Phive-K takes place at 9 a.m. Sunday. Both are open to WSU students, faculty, staff and the general public. 

The Pumpkin Run is a certified course, which means the recorded times are considered official and can be used for qualification in future races. Runners will be timed for both races.

Participants run (or walk) in the Pumpkin Run — hosted by Campus Recreation — and are encouraged to wear a costume. 

All runners will receive a glow-in-the-dark T-shirt, and everyone who crosses the finish line will receive a medal. This is the first year medals are included in the race.  

For non-runners, there are other ways to be involved. 

“We need volunteers at the water stop handing out the water…handing out medals,” said Vanessa Buehne, the run’s director. “Just kind of being there at the finish line handing out those things: water, medals and then working with food. We also do have some [volunteer spots] along the course; we call it our cheer squad.” 

All volunteers will receive a spinning drum, which can be used to cheer for the runners. Buehne said about 100 volunteers are needed, and Campus Recreation will accept volunteers until all spots are filled. Volunteer sign-up forms are at the front desk of the Heskett Center.

Zach’s Wishes for Miracles (ZW4M) is this year’s charity partner. The organization is in memory of WSU student Zach Mesch, who died from leukemia in 2010. 

The charity sponsors trips for young adults (ages 18-23) with cancer. A dollar from each pumpkin run registration fee goes to ZW4M.

Free massages from a Campus Recreation massage therapist are available for runners after the race. 

Senior RJ Clark said he participated in the Pumpkin Run last year, and plans to run in it again this year. 

“I enjoyed it last year,” Clark said. “I’m hoping to improve on my time. I’ll get a cool T-shirt. I also really enjoyed the massages that they had over by Shocker Hall after the run.” 

The cost is $15 for students, $20 for WSU faculty and staff and $25 for community members on or before Friday. The cost is $35 for everyone on race day. Participants who register before race day have the option to buy a Pumpkin Run Sweaty Band for $10 (normally priced $14 on race day).

Register online at wichita.edu/pumpkinrun or in-person at the Heskett Center’s front desk on WSU’s main campus. The last day for online registration is Thursday. 

Gamma Phi Beta sorority hosts the Gamma Phive-K, which ends with an optional color dash. Participants can run or walk in the race while people throw color powder at them. There is an alternate route for those who want to avoid stained clothes and skin. 

Participants get some perks upon registering for the Gamma Phive-K. 

“Every time someone registers, they get a race bib,” Gamma Phive-K planner Karley Nelson said. “We have these really cool Gamma Phi Crescent Classic water bottles; they’re custom made, they’re super cool … There are hot and cold packs, they have like gel beads … [and] fragrance in them.” 

Runners also have the option of getting a Gamma Phive-K T-shirt, which costs $7. 

Girls on the Run is the charity partner with the Gamma Phive-K, an organization that helps elementary school girls (grades third through fifth) train for a 5K while learning about self-confidence and motivation from a mentor or coach. 

Seven girls in the Gamma Phi Beta are Girls on the Run coaches, and 10 elementary school girls are signed up for the Gamma Phive-K. All of the registration fees fund Girls on the Run scholarships that can help elementary school girls join the program.

Senior Britton Smith ran in the Gamma Phive-K last year, and he’s already registered for the race this year. 

“I mean, run it — if for nothing else — for the cause,” Smith said. “That should be like enough motivation to get out there. It’s also a 5K, so it’s not unbelievably long.” 

Interested participants can register online at www.gammaphibetawsu.com/gammaphivek. The cost is $20 through Saturday and $30 on race day.