Preliminary coroner’s report rules death in Shocker Hall as suicide

A female student was found unresponsive Monday evening in a Shocker Hall dorm room, and she died at a hospital, said Joe Kleinsasser, a spokesman for Wichita State.

Kleinsasser said the preliminary coroner’s report ruled the student died by suicide. He added confirmation of the cause of death will not be certain for some time.

University police were reportedly conducting a welfare check in Shocker Hall when they found the student unresponsive. The student was taken to a hospital, where she was pronounced dead.

An alert from Shocker Blast went out to students after 10 p.m. Monday to notify them of the death.

“Our thoughts go out to the family and those who are affected by this tragedy,” the alert stated.

Eric Sexton, vice president of Student Affairs, released a second Shocker Blast alert Tuesday.

“During this time of great loss, we are reminded of the importance of community,” Sexton said in the alert. “Losing a fellow student and member of our university can be very difficult.”

Sexton encouraged students who felt they needed additional emotional support to contact the WSU Counseling and Testing Center, located in 320 Grace Wilkie Hall.

Counseling and Testing Center representatives were at Shocker Hall on Tuesday and Wednesday, Sexton said in the alert. He encouraged students to call the Lifeline Suicide Prevention Hotline at 1-800-273-TALK (8255) and COMCARE Crisis Services at 660-7500, if needed.

“I encourage all of us to support and look out for another in this difficult time,” Sexton stated in the alert.