Wines of the world: develop skills in tasting class

From the Nightlife Guide —

Guy Bower has traveled all around the world.

Wherever he is, Bower manages to pick up knowledge and tastes for cuisines, particularly wine. Every semester, he brings that knowledge to the students of Wichita State in his non-credit wine-tasting classes.

Bower, who grew up in a family restaurant in Miami, said he began traveling as a pilot in the U.S. Air Force, which led to Bower’s eight-year tenure in Europe.

After his career in the military, Bower came back to the U.S. fascinated about wines. He began researching wines and meeting with makers in different areas of the country, working in retail and even participating as a judge in several major wine competitions. Bower is now a certified, international wine judge.

In 2000, Bower took over teaching the non-credit wine-tasting classes offered at the Hughes Metropolitan Complex at 29th and Oliver. A basic and an advanced course are offered on alternating semesters. A new class about food preparation and wine is also offered.

Senior pre-medicine student Gracie Palmer said she has a scientific understanding about the way wine works.

“There was actually a doctor I worked with who majored in beer and wine for his undergrad and talking to him about organic chemistry, he said it’s so fascinating to learn about how specific types of bonds can make specific tastes and how they can be altered,” Palmer said. “Ever since taking organic chemistry, my interest in learning more about wines has increased significantly.”

Though the class may not delve into the molecular level, Bower said students in the basic-level class taste six to eight wines each week to develop a background of taste.

“There’s no rhyme or reason to the wines I’ll bring to the basic class sessions,” Bower said. “The first class is all about the basis of taste — what impacts how we perceive and taste.”

After the first class, topics become more structured in the basic course. Bower covers west coast wines, how grape wines grow and how grapes are picked. The third week covers red wines, barreling and fermentation.

The advanced class sessions cover basic varieties.

“One night might be about chardonnay, with bottles ranging anywhere from $6.99 to $29.99,” Bower said. “[The food preparation class] is about taste mechanics and the dos and don’ts of prepping with wine and cooking with wine.”

Bower said the class has been full every semester it’s offered.

He also hosts a weekly radio show about food and wine on 1330 AM called ‘The Good Life” from noon to 1 p.m. each Saturday.

“I’ve met so many people that have become friends,” Bower said. “I do it because I enjoy it, and it complements my radio show. But the best part is anywhere I go I run into people who’ve taken my class and talk to me even if I don’t always remember them.”

Bower said people would enjoy this class even if they feel uncertain about wine tastes.

“Someone who knows nothing about art wouldn’t appreciate a Van Gogh painting, but if you take an art class, you will,” he said. “It’s the same with wine. The more you know, the more fun you have with it in the long run.”

Palmer agreed that with knowledge comes understanding.

“I think that if I did have an understanding with the flavors,” she said, “I might learn to appreciate them once I realized what I was looking for.”