Campus concert series continues with Calamity Cubes!

Joey Henry met Brook Blanche at an open mic night eight years ago.

That meeting led to the formation of The Calamity Cubes!, a Wichita-based band that plays music in the Thrasicana genre.

Band members Kody Oh and Billy Cook round out the band.

The Calamity Cubes! will perform on campus Tuesday as part of the Ulrich Museum of Art’s Art For Your Ears concert series. The performance is scheduled for 7 p.m. on the Wilner Auditorium south lawn.

The band’s performance will be the first time AFYE has had a concert during the fall semester. Jennifer Lane, a spokeswoman for the Ulrich Museum, said the museum decided to host the concert series in July, August and September this year to give students an opportunity to be exposed to the arts.

“We want to reach as many students as possible,” Lane said. “It’s important for students to round out their education with the arts and culture.”

Henry, who plays banjo and sings vocals with the band, said the band was drawn to Wichita State because of the opportunity to perform for the community.

“We’re big fans of building community and encouraging community,” he said.

He described the band’s music as a “celebration of storytelling.”

“For a lot of people, that’s the medicine that they need,” Henry said. “Whether it’s the story that they’re taking in or the story that they’re creating. It’s definitely about the art and seeing the different forms of art together.”

While the band performs with bluegrass instruments, Henry said the group is by no means a bluegrass group. Instead, their music is more about the art than the genre, he said.

“It’s definitely about the song,” he said. “It’s about the story, each song.”

Henry also stressed the band is not about any one of the members trying to outdo each other. Rather, there is camaraderie.

“Nobody’s trying to out pick each other in the band,” he said. “We don’t write songs that are based around showcasing solos.”

Lane said hearing The Calamity Cubes! perform Tuesday will give students and the Wichita community a chance to hear a unique band.

“The Calamity Cubes! are unlike any band in the world,” she said.

She described the band’s music as a blend of country, rock and punk. But she said the punk is more of an attitude.

“The punk comes across in the way they carry themselves and the way that they perform,” Lane said. “They are a very entertaining act.”

The south lawn of Wilner Auditorium will be a location with some shade, Lane said.

Concert attendees can bring their own chairs or blankets to sit on. The Ulrich Museum has about 100 chairs to provide if needed, Lane said.

Light refreshments will also be served.

“We would really like to see a good turnout from students,” Lane said. “I don’t think students are aware of the quality of programs that we bring to the campus and I’d really encourage them to engage themselves with all that Wichita State and the Ulrich have to offer.”