Clash of the Clashes, light party kick off a glowing year

The Wichita State College of Engineering brought home the Clash of Colleges title and bragging rights for the school year Friday in an inaugural competition between all the university’s colleges.    

Students and faculty battled in human foosball, inflatable volleyball and several other activities.

The Office of Student Success and Campus Recreation sponsored the event, and all six colleges — the College of Education, Engineering, Health Professions, Fine Arts, Business and Liberal Arts and Sciences — participated.

“It was a great turnout, and we hope to make this a tradition,” said Kim Sandlin, director of the Office of Student Success. “This was a great opportunity for students to connect socially with their academic college. The deans took part in the event, and they really wanted to make that connection with their students.”

Besides competing to be the overall winner, teams also fought for the spirit award. While College of Engineering took home the bragging rights, the Health Professions students won the spirit award because they delivered the most hype, sportsmanship and spirit throughout the competition.

“What really made me feel good was seeing the orange-shirt students not just wanting to win but (having) a good time,” said Sandra Bibb, dean of the College of Health Professions. “I hope we do this again now that we have more experience … Our college is like a family … I hope that even more faculty will bring their kids next year.”

The night concluded with music and dancing at the Glow Stick After Party, which was hosted by the Student Activities Council.

“It’s a night to celebrate that everyone’s survived the first week of school,” said sophomore Terence Truong, programming chair of Students Activities Council.

Alan Kempke, a freshman studying aerospace engineering, said Clash of Colleges was a good way to take a break from studying.

“Thus far, I’ve been anxiously awaiting college,” Kempke said. “This event was a nice break from calculus and chemistry.”