Pumpkin race returns to campus

Runners at the 2014 WSU Campus Recreation Pumpkin Run line up at the starting line and wait while the national anthem is sung on Saturday morning.

As runners inched up to the race line — clad in competitive gear and Halloween costumes — Campus Recreation welcomed back the annual Pumpkin Run at Wichita State Saturday morning on a cool, crisp fall morning. The race began just outside of the Heskett Center.

According to the Campus Recreation website, this year’s 5K Pumpkin Run contained a new course and had nearly 700 runners compete.

“The course was different this year, so we saw more of the beautiful buildings on campus, and that made it even more enjoyable because the weather was so nice,” sophomore Ali Bontrager said.

The runners, who were given special bonuses if they signed up on race day dressed in Halloween costumes, were given medals for top overall runners, masters overall and top age group finishers.

“There weren’t a whole ton of people dressed up, but there were a lot of people running as zombies or dressed in tutus, though,” Bontrager said.

While the students were not only given a long sleeve glow in the dark T-shirt for their participation, they were greeted at the finish line with healthy snacks from local merchants.

Freddy’s Frozen Custard was one of the vendors that donated goodie bags to the runners.

“There were tons of samples and freebies that made it totally worth it,” Bontrager said.

If participants felt a little sore after their run, they could get a free massage from a Campus Recreation massage therapist, but it wasn’t just the massages that made the run enjoyable, Bontrager said.

“It was just great seeing so many people active,” Bontrager said.