Duo organists fill Wiedemann Hall with music

Wiedemann Hall at Wichita State was built around the Great Marcussen Organ, the first organ built on American soil by the Denmark organ company Marcussen and Son.

Each year, the venue holds an organ series sponsored by the Rie Bloomfield foundation.

Elizabeth and Raymond Chenault filled Wiedemann with contemporary duets on that organ on Tuesday. Every song was commissioned or arranged by the couple because of the lack of duets written for the organ.

The Chenaults enjoyed the on-campus organ, but were also impressed with the hall itself.

“The organ is fantastic,” Raymond said. “The best spec on the organ is the hall — the acoustics.”

Terence Truong, a freshman studying computer science, agreed.

“I think it’s probably the room itself,” he said of the performance. “This was a secluded area, so sound could bounce around a lot better.”

Steven Brown, a freshman studying music composition, said it’s because of the grooves in the walls and ceilings. They are made specifically for the acoustics of the organ, he said.

The performance consisted of six pieces, from the French choral, “Sonate à Deux” to a contemporary medley from the “Phantom of the Opera.”

Truong said his favorite piece was the medley.

“It was awesome,” he said. “With two-person, you hear everything.”

After the performance, the duo came back out on stage to perform their final song — an arrangement of “Stars and Stripes” in honor of the active military in the audience.

WSU associate professor and organist Lynne Davis asked the audience, “Now do you see the benefit of four hands and four feet?”